lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Brian Goetz <br...@quiotix.com>
Subject Re: QueryParser.parse(...) javadoc is incorrect
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 20:40:22 GMT
> The javadoc for QueryParser.parse(...) says that it throws a ParseException
> if an error occurs, in fact, it throws an
> org.apache.lucene.queryParser.TokenMgrError.

Actually, this is not quite correct.

It throws a ParseException if it encounters a valid sequence of tokens
but which do not match the parsing rules.  For example, I'll bet
  foo AND AND bar
would throw a ParseException, even though this is a sequence of valid
tokens.

It throws a TokenMgrError when it cannot even assemble a sequence of
characters into a token.  This shouldn't happen; post the offending
query and I'll see if it can be fixed.