lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Friedman <>
Subject RE: QueryParser.parse(...) javadoc is incorrect
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 14:03:59 GMT
Here's an example that throws the TokenMgrError.

import org.apache.lucene.queryParser.*;
import org.apache.lucene.index.*;
import org.apache.lucene.analysis.*;
import org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.*;
import org.apache.lucene.document.*;

public class ParseTest {

    	IndexReader reader ="index");
    	Searcher searcher = new IndexSearcher(reader);
    	String qStr = "[]";
    	Query query = QueryParser.parse(qStr, "text", analyzer);

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Goetz []
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 3:40 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: QueryParser.parse(...) javadoc is incorrect

> The javadoc for QueryParser.parse(...) says that it throws a
> if an error occurs, in fact, it throws an
> org.apache.lucene.queryParser.TokenMgrError.

Actually, this is not quite correct.

It throws a ParseException if it encounters a valid sequence of tokens
but which do not match the parsing rules.  For example, I'll bet
  foo AND AND bar
would throw a ParseException, even though this is a sequence of valid

It throws a TokenMgrError when it cannot even assemble a sequence of
characters into a token.  This shouldn't happen; post the offending
query and I'll see if it can be fixed.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>