lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Brook, James" <JBr...@CHELLO.com>
Subject Does Lucene really work with Java 1.1.8
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 12:35:13 GMT
I am trying to use the 'lucene-1.2-rc1.jar' with a WebObjects 4.5
application, but having problems. WebObjects uses Java 1.1.8. I read on the
jGuru Lucene FAQ that Lucene should work with this version of Java. Is this
correct?

If the latest version of Lucene only works with Java 1.2, can anyone tell me
if I can get an older version that works with Java 1.1.8?

The specific error I am getting is:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.io.File: method createNewFile()Z not found
   at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at Application.createIndex(Application.java:38)
   at Application.<init>(Application.java:15)

This occurs when I try to create an empty index with the following method:

public void createIndex() throws Exception {
    String indexPath = "/Local/Users/jbrook/testIndex";
    IndexWriter writer;

    writer = new IndexWriter(indexPath, null, true);
    writer.close();
}

James Brook
Chello B.V.