lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <DCutt...@grandcentral.com>
Subject RE: A method for "de-boosting" a term...
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:47:04 GMT
Alex,

Can you please supply a simple reproducible example?  When I set the boost
for a term to zero then documents containing it do not come to the top.  Nor
do they go to the bottom.  The boost is multiplied into the weight for the
term, but the weights are then added into the document score, so a zero
boost will have little effect on the final ranking.

Lucene does not currently support negative boosts, which might achieve what
you want.  I just made the modifications to required to support negative
boosts.  Please find these attached and tell me how they work.  If they work
then I will check them in after the 1.2 release is final.

Doug