lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject RE: Lucene has moved to Jakarta
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2001 18:42:23 GMT
> From: []
> Congratulations on the move!

> As near as I can see, the two major changes for 1.2-rc1 are:
>   switch to org.apache.lucene package names.
>   Apache license instead of LGPL.

Yes.  Thanks for pointing these out.  These are big incompatible changes
that I forgot to mention.

Other changes since 1.01b include:
  - ant-only build -- no more makefiles
  - addition of lock files--now fully thread & process safe
  - addition of German stemmer
  - MultiSearcher now supports low-level search API
  - added RangeQuery, for term-range searching
  - Analyzers can choose tokenizer based on field name
  - misc bug fixes.

I need to work up detailed release notes for the final 1.2 release.

> Sometime when someone has a chance, I'd love to hear a bit about what
> plans there are for Lucene development.

Let's see, some short term tasks for the 1.2 release:
  - get source code back into releases
  - clean up example code
  - write release notes

Some mid-term tasks:
  - add contributed Chinese analyzers
  - add Hits.SetOrdering() support
  - add some term highlighting support

Longer term tasks:
  - add JDBC-based Directory
  - optimize simple conjunctive queries
  - optionally store document vectors in index

Have I missed your favorite?

View raw message