lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "W. Eliot Kimber" <el...@isogen.com>
Subject Trying To Understand Query Syntax Details
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:10:01 GMT
I'm trying to understand the details of the query syntax. I found the
syntax ` in QueryParser.jj, but it doesn't make everything clear.

My initial questions:

- It doesn't appear that "?" can be the last character in a search. For
example, to match "fool" and "food", I tried to do "foo?", but got a
parse error. "fo?l" of course matches fool and foal. Is this a bug or an
implementation constraint?

- How does one specify a date range in a query? We need to be able to
search on "docs later than date x", and I know that Lucene supports date
matching, but I don't see how to specify this in a query.

Also, is there a description of the algorithm "~" uses?

Thanks,

E.

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m