lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@blackwell.co.uk>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.2 and directory write permissions?
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2001 08:23:22 GMT
> Perhaps we should instead write lock files in a subdirectory of the index
> named "locks".  You could make that directory read/write, but make the
> parent read-only.  Alternately, we could have an flag that turns off the use
> of lock files, for those who know that there is no other process that is
> potentially simultaneously updating the index.  Which approach would folks
> prefer?

If wanted to store an index on a read-only medium then would need to
be able to turn off lock file usage altogether, or specify an alternate
directory that wasn't part of the index tree.  Not something I've
ever needed to do, but someone might want to sometime.

Could the lock creation code check for write access to the index
directory and just skip the locks if can't create the file?  If
the index is read-only then nothing is going to be updating it
anyway.

--
Ian.
ian.lea@blackwell.co.uk