lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dave Kor <dave...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Flaws in WildcardQuery design....
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2001 08:59:21 GMT

--- "Robert J. Lebowitz" <lebowitz@finaltouch.com>
wrote:
> I've been experimenting with the new WildcardQuery
> class and since there
> isn't really any documentation on its use, I've been
> sort of poking at it to
> see how it is used.
>
> From what I've seen so far, you must construct the
> query by passing it a
> Term object.  However, the String that is passed as
> the constructor for the
> Term must end with an asterix.

Hmm.. are you certain that WildcardQuery is used? If
you are using QueryParser, then Terms ending with an
asterix are handled by PrefixQuery and not
WildcardQuery.

Although I think WildcardQuery possibly could be used
with terms ending with asterix, it was never tested
this way as it is assumed that PrefixQuery would
handle such cases.

> Question 1:  Has the QueryParser been updated such
> that it can handle
> wildcard terms using the new WildcardQuery?  I.E.,
> can it return some kind
> of BooleanQuery that incorporates some terms
> utilizing Wildcard searches
> (and others that don't)?

Yes.