lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Lee Mallabone <...@grantadesign.com>
Subject Re: Context specific summary with the search term
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:11:38 GMT
On Thu, 2001-10-18 at 17:29, Benjamin Kopic wrote:
> We are trying to implement Lucene, and one of the requirements for the
> search is to provide a context within which the search term appears in a
> document.
> Has anyone done something similar? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

This is something I also need to implement in the very near future. My
current thoughts are to use a variant of Maik Schreiber's way of doing
term highlighting in documents. See:
http://www.iq-computing.de/lucene/highlight.htm

Rather than highlight terms, I would just extract the first hit token,
and a certain number of characters either side of it.

This may not be the best approach, but it looks like the easiest method
to get working. I'm also not sure how realistic it will be from a
performance perspective, so if people have any alternative ideas, I'd be
happy to collaborate on an implementation...

Regards,

--
Lee Mallabone