lucene-general mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Solr supported/EOL versions
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2017 10:00:30 GMT
Hi,

There is no web page listing EOL status. The general rule is that we work on three versions
at the same time.
There is the 6.x version which is the “stable” branch where we release new features.
Then there is the 5.5 branch which will most likely receive CVE security updates, but we cannot
guarantee other bug fixes.
And finally we work on the next major release 7.x in master branch (never released).

So for you guys on 5.3.1 you have a back-compat upgrade path to released 5.5.3, and should
see a 5.5.4 if a really critical issue is found.
There is no EOL date decided for 5.x yet, but once we start talking about releasing 7.x you
should prepare to upgrade.

Note: There may also be downstream companies out there offering LTS for older Solr versions,
with patches etc.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 3. jan. 2017 kl. 16.39 skrev Tussing, Leith <ltussing@ist.ucf.edu>:
>
> I've read through the documentation and the email archive and was unable to find (or
missed) the information I was looking for.

> What are the officially supported versions of Solr for security updates?  We're running
5.3.1 but there hadn't been any updates to 5.x in a couple months and I was trying to find
the official support/EOL status info to present to management to show we're either still actively
secure or if we needed to expend resources to upgrade from 5.x to 6.x versions.