lucene-general mailing list archives

From swsong_dev <swsong_...@websqrd.com>
Subject Re: How can I make better project than Lucene?
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2014 21:56:27 GMT
Yes, I borrows Lucene’s source code(analysis, store, utils ) partly.

My search engine is LGPL, and of course I leaved a Apache license text header in all source
codes borrowed from Lucene.

Sang Song

> 2014. 11. 15., 오후 10:56, Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com> 작성:
>
> Yes it does.
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>

> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Will Martin <wmartinusa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Um, doesn't the Apache license require inclusion of the license? Just sayin'

he is willing to break. Not a good first step.    ;-)

>>> will

your new search engine in Go not Java: Java has many problems, maybe Go fixes them.  Go also
has a low-latency garbage collector in development ... and Java's GC options still can't scale
to the heap sizes that are practical now.

>>> Lucene has many limitations, so your competing engine could focus on them.  E.g.
the "schemalessness" of Lucene has become a big problem, and near impossible to fix at this
point, and prevents new important features like LUCENE-5879 from being possible, so you could
give your engine a "gentle" schema from the start.

>>> The Lucene Filter/Query situation is a mess: one should extend the other.
>>>
>>> Lucene has weak support for proximity queries (SpanQuery is slow and does not
get much attention).

>>> Lucene is showing its age, missing some compelling features like a builtin transaction
log, "core" support for numerics (they are sort of hacked on top), optimistic concurrency
support (sequence ids, versions, something), distributed support (near real time replication,
etc.), multi-tenancy, an example server implementation, so the search servers on top of Lucene
have had to fill these gaps.  Maybe you could make your engine distributed from the start
(Go is a great match for that, from what little I know).