lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Will Martin" <wmartin...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: How can I make better project than Lucene?
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2014 13:53:29 GMT
Um, doesn't the Apache license require inclusion of the license? Just sayin'

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael McCandless [mailto:lucene@mikemccandless.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2014 8:47 AM
To: general@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: How can I make better project than Lucene?

Well the Apache Software License is very generous about poaching.

"Your ideas will go further if you don't insist on going with them."

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Will Martin <wmartinusa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Btw: SwSong should not steal code; which implies an existing license whose terms he is
willing to break. Not a good first step.    ;-)

> will

search engine in Go not Java: Java has many problems, maybe Go fixes them.  Go also has a
low-latency garbage collector in development ... and Java's GC options still can't scale to
the heap sizes that are practical now.

> Lucene has many limitations, so your competing engine could focus on them.  E.g. the
"schemalessness" of Lucene has become a big problem, and near impossible to fix at this point,
and prevents new important features like LUCENE-5879 from being possible, so you could give
your engine a "gentle" schema from the start.

> The Lucene Filter/Query situation is a mess: one should extend the other.
>
> Lucene has weak support for proximity queries (SpanQuery is slow and does not get much
attention).

> Lucene is showing its age, missing some compelling features like a builtin transaction
log, "core" support for numerics (they are sort of hacked on top), optimistic concurrency
support (sequence ids, versions, something), distributed support (near real time replication,
etc.), multi-tenancy, an example server implementation, so the search servers on top of Lucene
have had to fill these gaps.  Maybe you could make your engine distributed from the start
(Go is a great match for that, from what little I know).