lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Will Martin" <wmartin...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: How can I make better project than Lucene?
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2014 11:42:09 GMT
Btw: SwSong should not steal code; which implies an existing license whose terms he is willing
to break. Not a good first step.    ;-)

will

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael McCandless [mailto:lucene@mikemccandless.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:22 AM
To: general@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: How can I make better project than Lucene?

Actually I think competing projects is very healthy for open source development.

There are many things you could explore to "contrast" with Lucene, e.g. write your new search
engine in Go not Java: Java has many problems, maybe Go fixes them.  Go also has a low-latency
garbage collector in development ... and Java's GC options still can't scale to the heap sizes
that are practical now.

Lucene has many limitations, so your competing engine could focus on them.  E.g. the "schemalessness"
of Lucene has become a big problem, and near impossible to fix at this point, and prevents
new important features like LUCENE-5879 from being possible, so you could give your engine
a "gentle" schema from the start.

The Lucene Filter/Query situation is a mess: one should extend the other.

Lucene has weak support for proximity queries (SpanQuery is slow and does not get much attention).

Lucene is showing its age, missing some compelling features like a builtin transaction log,
"core" support for numerics (they are sort of hacked on top), optimistic concurrency support
(sequence ids, versions, something), distributed support (near real time replication, etc.),
multi-tenancy, an example server implementation, so the search servers on top of Lucene have
had to fill these gaps.  Maybe you could make your engine distributed from the start (Go is
a great match for that, from what little I know).

All 3 highlighter options have problems.

The analysis chain (attributes) is overly complex.

In your competing engine you can borrow/copy/steal from Lucene's good parts to get started...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com