lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hoss...@fucit.org>
Subject VOTE: RC0 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8.pdf
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:20:43 GMT

(Note: cross posted to general, please confine replies to dev@)

Please VOTE to release the following RC0 as apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8.pdf ...

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8-RC0

2 important notes about this RC...

1) Due to a known bug in confluence, the PDFs it generates are much bigger
then they should be.  This bug has been fixed in the latest version of
confluence, but cwiki.apache.rog has not yet been updated.  For that
reason, I have manually run a small tool against the PDF to "fix" the size
(see SOLR-5819).  The first time i tried this approach, it inadvertantly
removed the "Index" (aka: Table of Contents, or Bookmarks depending on
what PDF reader client you use).  I've already fixed this, but if you
notice anything else unusual about this PDF compared to previous versions
please speak up so we can see if it's a result of this post-processing
and try to fix it.

2) This is the first ref guide release where we've started using a special
confluence macro for any lucene/solr javadoc links.  The up side is that
all javadoc links in this 4.8 ref guide will now correctly point to the
4.8 javadocs on lucene.apache.org -- the down side is that this means none
of those links currently work, since the 4.8 code release is still
ongoing and the website has not yet been updated.

Because of #2, I intend to leave this ref guide vote open beyond the
normal 72 hours (minimum), until the 4.8 code release is final - that way
we won't officially be releasing this doc until the 4.8 javadocs are
uploaded and all the links work properly.

-Hoss