lucene-general mailing list archives

From Alan Woodward <a...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: VOTE: RC0 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8.pdf
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 08:40:58 GMT
Yonik found an error in the documentation for SOLR-4478, which I've now fixed.  It would be
good to get that in given that it's new functionality which will fail very confusingly if
the current docs are followed.

Alan Woodward
www.flax.co.uk

On 25 Apr 2014, at 00:20, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> (Note: cross posted to general, please confine replies to dev@)
>
> Please VOTE to release the following RC0 as apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8.pdf ...
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-4.8-RC0
>

> 2 important notes about this RC...
>
> 1) Due to a known bug in confluence, the PDFs it generates are much bigger then they
should be.  This bug has been fixed in the latest version of confluence, but cwiki.apache.rog
has not yet been updated.  For that reason, I have manually run a small tool against the PDF
to "fix" the size (see SOLR-5819).  The first time i tried this approach, it inadvertantly
removed the "Index" (aka: Table of Contents, or Bookmarks depending on what PDF reader client
you use).  I've already fixed this, but if you notice anything else unusual about this PDF
compared to previous versions please speak up so we can see if it's a result of this post-processing
and try to fix it.

> 2) This is the first ref guide release where we've started using a special confluence
macro for any lucene/solr javadoc links.  The up side is that all javadoc links in this 4.8
ref guide will now correctly point to the 4.8 javadocs on lucene.apache.org -- the down side
is that this means none of those links currently work, since the 4.8 code release is still
ongoing and the website has not yet been updated.

> Because of #2, I intend to leave this ref guide vote open beyond the normal 72 hours
(minimum), until the 4.8 code release is final - that way we won't officially be releasing
this doc until the 4.8 javadocs are uploaded and all the links work properly.