lucene-general mailing list archives

From Bastiaan Braams <bjbra...@gmail.com>
Subject Getting started, wish to present a bibliographical database to the web
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:24:38 GMT
Greetings. I am a newcomer looking for advice about getting started with
Lucene Core and/or Solr in order to present to the world a searchable
bibliographical database.

I have the database in my filespace in a plain text format; let us say as a
BibTeX file. So the data is quite well structured, with fields such as
Author, Title, Journal and Year, but also some less structured fields:
Abstract, Notes, Keywords. I don't have the article full texts.

There are about 100 000 entries in the database; the total size is less
than 1 GB.

I have access to a server that already provides web pages to the world. Now
I want to provide these bibliographical data to the world, with some search
functionality for the visitors.

Would Lucene Core be a good building block for this? Would I have any use
for Lucene Solr? I have the impression that I should consider Solr only if
the data were distributed over the web, but in my case the data are all in
one place that is under my control.

The quick tutorial for Lucene Core shows how I may create a Lucene database
and query it on my system through the command line. Could someone please
recommend a tutorial about creating a web interface for the prospective
world-wide users of this database?