lucene-general mailing list archives

From Kuldeep Sharma <kuldeep.sha...@hcl.com>
Subject RE: problem with solr 4.3.1 installation
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:19:31 GMT
Hi Uwe,

Is there any performance degradation or other limitation if we use JBOSS instead of jetty
for deploying Solr?

Currently, we are using Jboss AS in Production and don’t seems any issue till now since
last 2-3 months.

Thanks!

Kuldeep

-----Original Message-----
From: Uwe Schindler [mailto:uwe@thetaphi.de]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:49 AM
To: general@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: problem with solr 4.3.1 installation

Hi,

> Thanks Uwe for your quick reply.

> I got the the problem of setting classpath now.

> But i have few question based on your reply. May not be related to the topic

> of the thread.

> Question 1 related to the point - *"In general it is not recommended to install

> Solr inside a custom webapp container"* where will solr runs in production

> environments? i was thinking that it has to run on some web containers.

> Jetty is only for playing around/testing.

> Please correct me if i am wrong.

See Solr like a database server (MySQL or Postgres). Do you install MySQL inside a servlet
container? - no it runs as a separate service in a separate process!

Jetty has nothing to do with "playing around". Jetty is just the web connector of Solr and
is the officially supported HTTP interface. Future versions of Solr may replace jetty by e.g.
the netty library for high performance select-based I/O.

Your custom application talks to Solr using the HTTP protocol, but that does not mean that
Solr must run in your webapp container. Solr runs (like a MySQL database server) ideally as
a separate JVM instance. That's the recommended installation.

> Question 2 related to the point - "*Future versions of Solr may no longer ship

> with a WAR file because it causes too many problems, because Solr does not

> work well with other webapps in the same JVM"*

> *

> *

> how can we use solr with any app say my own web app (typically, a spring

> mvc or any EE app) if it is not shipped as war? Can't we use Solr for solving

> problem of complex/advance search implementation (time consuming

> search queries from RDBMS) that normally exists in any web app? say any

> inventory management or warehouse management apps.

See above.

wrote:

> > Hi,

> > See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrJBoss#Configuring_Solr_Home  for

> > instructions (scroll down and look for the JNDI options). The problem

> > is that SOLR_HOME must be known to JBoss, otherwise the webapp cannot

> > locate any files from the config.

> > In general it is not recommended to install Solr inside a custom

> > webapp container (means installing the WAR file in tomcat, jboss or

> > whatever). You should use the included web engine (provided by jetty)

> > with a recent JDK version. The example folder has a start.jar. You can

> > start the correctly configured Jetty engine with solr by running "java

> > -jar start.jar" from the example folder.

> > Future versions of Solr may no longer ship with a WAR file because it

> > causes too many problems, because Solr does not work well with other

> > webapps in the same JVM (it has very special garbage collection and

> > memory requirements), so it should run as a separate server in a separate

> VM.

> > Uwe

> > -----

> > Uwe Schindler

> > H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen

> > http://www.thetaphi.de

> > eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de<mailto:uwe@thetaphi.de>

::DISCLAIMER::

recipient(s) only.
E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e
mail and its contents
or HCL or its affiliates.
Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may
not necessarily reflect the
views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying,
disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized
representative of
HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and
notify the sender immediately.