lucene-general mailing list archives

From Matthew Willson <matt...@swiftkey.net>
Subject Advice/consulting from Lucene community on NLP-heavy search applications
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:58:05 GMT
Hi all

At Swiftkey we've developed a lot of expertise in language modelling in
the course of developing predictive text entry products. We're now
increasingly looking to solve information retrieval problems using
related techniques, and have identified Lucene 4 as a potential basis
for this work.

Ours aren't standard web search applications though. We face some
interesting challenges in incorporating NLP techniques into a scalable
search architecture, and from our work so far it's clear that a fair
amount of custom development will be necessary on top of Lucene. So
we're reaching out for advice -- to help us avoid engineering pitfalls,
speed up our understanding of relevant Lucene internals and extension
points, and to ensure we make the best use of existing work in the
Lucene ecosystem.

For the right person this is something we're happy to pay for, either as
commercial support, a consulting gig or potentially a full-time role out
of our London office surrounded by a great engineering team full of NLP
experts.

We're also keen to give back to the Lucene community and open to
discussion around open-sourcing some of the results of our work,
potentially sponsoring specific pieces of feature development where we
can identify a piece of work which fits into the community roadmap.

Do get in touch with paul@swiftkey.net if this sounds interesting to
you, or anyone else you know!

Cheers,

-Matthew