lucene-general mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: September Board Report Due
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:45:28 GMT
I got two (maybe automated?) reminder emails, but they were sent to me personally, and not
to the PMC.  I will forward them to the PMC.

I'm personally fine with Lucene/Solr not putting TMs on logos.  But I think we should have
a record of voting on this.  I'll start a thread on dev@l.a.o.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:hossman_lucene@fucit.org]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 1:44 PM
To: general@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: September Board Report Due

: I'm overdue (it was due on Wednesday the 12th), so I'd like to send this
: to the board later today (Friday the 14th).  If you need more time,
: please say so ASAP.

Is the PMC no longer getting automated emails informing us of hte
reporting date, or did mine just get lost in the mail?

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/board-reports/2012/board-report-september.txt

seems fine to me.

: I'd appreciate any opinions about the above list.  I recall seeing some
: discussion about TMs' inclusion in logos a while back, but I don't
: remember whether there was any resolution - is this controversial?  The
: above-linked requirements seem pretty unambiguous about the need to do
: this.

there was a lot of discussion, much of it contoversial since there didn't
seem to be any definitive rhyme/reason/purpose for adding TM to the logos
and people thought it made them look ugly.  A concrete question that was
never answsered: why should we add TM to all the logos when (aparently)
you can have trademark a logo w/cluttering that logo by putting "TM" in it
every time you use it.  (ie: the google logo on on google.com, the ford
logo on ford.com, etc...)

It's worth noting as an specific example: the ASF feather on
www.apache.org still does not include a "TM" even though the sentence
"Apache and the Apache feather logo are trademarks of The Apache Software
Foundation" has been on the home page for as long as i can remember.

-Hoss