lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Can Lucene be used where each entity to be ranked is a set of documents?
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:12:14 GMT
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 7:42 AM, shashank <shashank91.bits@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working on a project wherein each entity to be ranked is not a single
>> document but infact a group of documents.
>>
>> So, the ranking not only involves standard search engine scoring parameters
>> but also the association of documents within an entity/group i.e.
>> association of documents within the group also contributes to the ranking
>> score.
>
> You may want to look at Lucene's block join module
> (http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_0_0-BETA/join/index.html): combined
> with IndexWriter's add/updateDocuments functionality which lets you
> add documents as a 'group'.
> Currently I think the way in which the group is scored is just an enum
> with a fixed set of choices (ScoreMode), so you might have to modify
> the source code at the moment if you have a sophisticated way of
> scoring the group of documents, but this would be nice to fix so that
> its something extensible...

Also look at grouping module.

If you have no parent documents/fields (ie only child docs that must
be grouped/scored according to some criteria) then grouping should
work.

But Robert is right: the scoring of a group is fairly simplistic now
... so you may need to tweak the code to do what you need (and please
send patches back!).

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com