lucene-general mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject [REPORT] Revised Report Apache Lucene March 2012
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 07:54:45 GMT
=== Lucene Status Report: March 2012 ===

TLP

We have added several new PMC members:

* Martijn van Groningen
* Dawid Weiss
* Jan Jøydahl

Trademarks:
We have not made progress on trademarks since the last board report, but
do intend to finish the necessary pieces.

   * Project Naming And Descriptions :
     We believe this is complete, but are still reviewing.
   * Website Navigation Links : navbar links included, link to
     www.apache.org included.
     Likely complete, but under review.
   * Trademark Attributions : attribution for all ASF marks included in
     footers, etc.
     The main TLP site is converted, subproject sites have not.
   * Logos and Graphics : include TM, use consistent product logo on your
     site In progress.  Some have been converted to have TM, some not.
     We don't seem to have ready volunteers on the graphical front,
     so it is slower than we'd like
   * Project Metadata : DOAP file checkedin and up to date
     Done

LUCENE JAVA/Solr

Lucene Java is a search-engine toolkit and Solr is a search server
built on top of Lucene. The community is very active. The community
has recently switched to the Apache CMS including several improvement
that increased the number of package downloads significantly.
The community is working towards a Lucene & Solr 3.6 release and plans
to branch trunk in preparation for a Lucene 4.0 Alpha release.

Additionally, we have added several new committers:

* David Smiley
* Christian Moen
* Sami Siren
* James Dyer
* Stefan Matheis
* Tommaso Teofili

Other issues

We have identified an issue (SOLR-3204) with a jar we published containing code
from the Commons CSV project. The Lucene PMC is working closely with the
Apache Commons PMC to resolve the issue. Due to initial misunderstanding between
Lucene and Commons CSV committers this issue was communicated to the
board causing
discussions about the healthiness of the Lucene PMC. The Lucene PMC
dismisses the
allegation with confidence that the Lucene PMC operates on a healthy
level within
the Apache way. The rapid communication turnaround leading to
allegations appear to
be unhealthy to the relation between the PMC and the Board level.
The Lucene PMC asks that in the future, Board members wait a reasonable
amount of time (more than 48 hours) to let the Lucene Community and PMC
resolve such issues ourselves before attempting to intervene.

Open Relevance Project

The Open Relevance Project is a project aimed at providing Lucene
and others tools for judging the quality of search and machine
learning approaches.  The community is not very active, but
we don't expect it to be very high volume either as it is a niche
area.

PyLucene

PyLucene is a Python integration of Lucene Java.  Development is
almost entirely an automated port, so this project will never
require a lot of developers.  The user community is active.