lucene-general mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <>
Subject Re: Something for a beginner
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:07:45 GMT
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Alok Upadhyay <> wrote:
> Thanks for that warm welcome, Robert! But I have been scouring through
> the source only to end up taking a lot of time understanding the
> system altogether. Since, understanding the whole system is essential
> for making fixes which don't conflict the very nature of the
> module/portion concerned.

Hmm, I think most of the tasks are intended to be fairly
self-contained, so that hopefully you don't need to do this.
It would be too overwhelming if you had to understand everything to
make any contributions.

For example, you don't need to understand the details of the indexer
to make contributions to queryparsers.

> Doesn't this project have any graphical tools like
> UML diagrams, Architecture diagrams etc.( which can greatly reduce the
> getting-to-know-time, in my case particularly)?
> Or if not, can you please suggest me some better(quicker) way of understanding
> the different parts of the source.

I think
is a good start at introducing what the different pieces and parts do.
Also you can probably find some introductory articles on google, and
of course there are books (Lucene in Action) that go into even more

View raw message