lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Report] Apache Lucene
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:06:21 GMT

On Dec 14, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

> Grant,
>
> No actual donation was made since no one ever responded to my messages. I
> wanted to shape the Orev application up before submitting it to the
> project, so I asked for your and others' help. Unfortunately I never got
> even a single response.
>
> All sources were already released under the ASL back then:
> https://github.com/synhershko/Orev

That's fine, but that is far different from a patch.  For me, the timing was bad due to travel/work
and then the email got buried and forgotten.

> I set it up on my personal server and emailed a few of you with a link to
> an early access, so we can test it and perfect it, without requiring you to
> install anything anywhere.
>
> I will not go into the trouble of making a patch when clearly there's no
> interest in this project. Hence my reply to Simon's report.

That's a chicken and egg problem.  Most committers won't bother looking when there isn't a
patch or something directly donated.  Why expend the effort when the intentions are unclear?
 I should have communicated that back then.  Nobody's fault, just some miscommunication.

That being said, I agree this project feels dead, even though I don't think any of us ever
thought it would be a big project.

> I honestly think this could be a great project to advance open TR and
> Lucene, and we already have sort of a roadmap, but unless there's any
> interest we won't get anywhere...

Roadmap only gets us so far.  We need people making real contributions to the project.  I
know I'm guilty of not being able to do it as I simply don't have the time.  I think the project
would be a great place for some digital library students and or IR researchers to come do
work, but we need to get the word out to them that we are looking for help.