lucene-general mailing list archives

From mschipperheyn <>
Subject Security Filtering against large sets of users (think G+ wall)
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 16:41:40 GMT

I'm implementing a Facebook style wall. As with Google+, you're supposed to
see posts by users in your network. The Network is forward-style, meaning
that you can put people in your network while they haven't put you in

So, I have two indices: WallPost and User.
user contains an indexed attribute that contains all ids of the users in the
network of the user.

I'm struggling to come up with the best way to query against the WallPost
Let's assume you have 5.000 users with on average 250 users in their

For every wall query I need:
1. get all the posts of people in user X's network
2. filter out all the post of people where user X is not in their network

I could do a query containing a term for each userId in user X's network,
but I'm not entirely sure how to filter out the posts by users who haven't
adopted user X in their network yet, since this information is part of the
User index and not the WallPost index.

It would be easiests if I could do a Filter on the wall post query that
queries the User index to retrieve a list of userIds that have accepted user
X in their network. But I'm not sure if it's possible to query another index
in a filter.

Overall I would love to hear some suggestion on how to approach this best.

Kind regards,

Sent from the Lucene - General mailing list archive at

View raw message