lucene-general mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <>
Subject Re: SOLR Sorting algorithm
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 22:09:55 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Ted Dunning <> wrote:
> Mostly these would preserve ordering, I expect.
> (not a guarantee by any stretch)

In the past, ordering was always preserved.
But now the default merge policy (TieredMergePolicy) freely selects
the best segments to merge, even if they are non-adjacent (and that
reorders ids with respect to other ids, unlike purging deletes).  I
even had to rewrite some tests that started failing when this change
went into effect, due to past assumptions about docids.

-Yonik - The Lucene/Solr User Conference

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Yonik Seeley <>
> wrote:
>> It's also transient, in that it can change across commit calls (either by
>> deleted documents being squeezed out, or by non-adjacent segments being
>> merged).

View raw message