lucene-general mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: SOLR Sorting algorithm
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 22:09:55 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mostly these would preserve ordering, I expect.
> (not a guarantee by any stretch)

In the past, ordering was always preserved.
But now the default merge policy (TieredMergePolicy) freely selects
the best segments to merge, even if they are non-adjacent (and that
reorders ids with respect to other ids, unlike purging deletes).  I
even had to rewrite some tests that started failing when this change
went into effect, due to past assumptions about docids.

-Yonik
http://www.lucene-eurocon.com - The Lucene/Solr User Conference