lucene-general mailing list archives

From BrianK <brian.krue...@bonton.com>
Subject SOLR Sorting algorithm
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:49:28 GMT
We are running a SOLR query and are specifying a custom sort field to sort
our results based on our sort field rather than the default score.  For the
most part, the results are sorting by our field, but SOLR appears to be
sorting the results by some other field or alogorithm and it's not the score
field.  Our documents are populated from a database table and when running a
similar query/sort against the database we don't get the same sort sequence
as SOLR even though the sort is on the same field in both systems.
IMPORTANT NOTE: the sort field/results field is not unique, the search
results in question have the same value (1 in this case), but the results
always come out in the same order.

Can someone explain or point me in the right direction to determine how SOLR
sorts results beyond the field specified in our query string.

Example Query: q=Kitchen Products&sort=sortSequence asc

Example Results:
name: Product 1
sortSequence: 1
score: 1.52221

name: Product 5
sortSequence: 1
score: 1.52221

name: Product 3
sortSequence: 1
score: 1.53112

name: Product 2
sortSequence: 2
score: 1.51112

etc.

Are there hidden fields like document date, creation date, or other field
that is not visible that might be factored into a sort?