lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Upgrade solr
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 07:04:45 GMT
Hi SN,

The latest stable Solr release is Solr 3.3, with 3.4 coming this month. Solr
4.0 and Lucene 4.0 are both not yet stable, as we are still changing APIs
and optimizing things like the index format, algorithms. You can use Solr
4.0 snapshot, if you really need the new features and report back what you
find out. But you need to know, that we might change index formats from one
day to the other, so after an upgrade to a later trunk version, your indexes
may no longer be readable and throw scary Exceptions when reading indexes.
Upgrading 3.x index formats to 4.0 unstable is always possible, just not
4.0-old to 4.0-new, so be prepared to reindex your stuff after upgrade.
Otherwise, Lucene/Solr 4.0 seems quite stable if you don't upgrade.

The Solr version Lucid Imagination ships with LucidWorks, also uses the
"unstable" 4.0 version internally, but they guarantee, that you can upgrade
between different LucidWorks versions (they provide an index upgrade tool).

About the Geo features: I am not familiar with the current status of Solr's
Geo support. Maybe somebody else can answer, if the mentioned query type
works with the stable version 3.x.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler