lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout's Flexibility for generating recommendations
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 15:52:30 GMT
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:07 AM, SAMRIDHI <arora.samridhiarora@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am currently working on system that generated product recommendations
> like
> those on Amazon : "People who bought this also bought this.."
>
> This is how I plan to do it:
>
> Process the data using Mahout and generate recommendations(data is stored
> in
> MySQL),currently item based only.

That should work fine.

> Now,I want to apply clustering algorithm to make cluster of users and then
> apply the association rules subjective to each cluster

This isn't real clear.  Are you saying that you want to degrade the input
data to recommend items to user clusters?  That usually decreases accuracy
substantially.

Or are you saying that you want to build a feature based recommender using
cluster as a feature?

My Question is:

> Will mahout provide me enough flexibility to tweak with the existing
> algorithms according to my needs.If yes,how?

Almost certainly.

Is there any better alternative like R?

Almost certainly not.