lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Special Board Report for May 2011
Date Fri, 13 May 2011 18:20:28 GMT

: > "private" - or is this different somehow? What's difference between a
: > private talk between two or three people in a bar at Lucene Revolution
: > without somebody writing down a log? A log can also be written if somebody
: > else talks with me in a private Skype chat!

There is absolutely no differnce.

: reign in a little - but let's be honest - two developers getting
: together and speeding through some stuff is no different than one dev
: thinking through a lot on his own. You then bring it to the mailing list
: since otherwise it didn't happen. Other than that, we are all big boys

Exactly.

There is nothing wrong, and has never been anything wrong, with large
groups of people meeting in person to discuss lucene, or two people having
private conversations about lucene, or talking about lucene on IRC.

There is nothing wrong, and has never been anything worng, with large
groups of people meeting in person to discuss technical changes to lucene,
or two people having private conversations about technical cahnges to
lucene, or talking about technical changes to lucene on IRC.

There is nothing wrong, and has never been anything worng, with large
groups of people meeting in person to discuss project planning/vision of
lucene, or two people having private conversations about project
planning/vision to lucene, or talking about project planning/vision of
lucene on IRC.

What is wrong, and what has always been wrong, is anyone, anywhere, making
*decisions* about any of these things, that is not on the list.

It doesn't matter how many committers/PMC members are involved, it doesn't
matter if it's logged or not, if people have a discussion it's fine -- but
if that discussion becomes a "decision" it's wrong.  If two or more people
on IRC (or at apachecon, or at a meetup, or standing by the water cooler
at work) are chatting and agree that it would probably be a good idea to
do X, Y, and Z that is fine -- as long as that is then sumiarzed in an
email or jira issue and other people have a chance to way in and give
their opinions.

The moment someone says "it was decided on irc (or at apachecon, or at
bar, or in a meeting) that we should do X, Y, and Z" that is wrong.

I don't give a fuck if IRC is logged, i don't give a fuck if someone took
minutes at a meetup, it's wrong -- it's not how things are done.

-Hoss