lucene-general mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Special Board Report for May 2011
Date Sat, 07 May 2011 10:41:27 GMT
On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen several people note that "IRC is not logged". Fine. LOG IT.
>
> I see absolutely no reason for you guys not to set up logging for the
> channel that you use. We do this for Subversion development:
>  http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_logs/svn-dev
>
> If IRC is posing so much of a problem, then just log it. I saw a
> comment about civility on the channel. Well... if it is logged, then
> you may see that fixed. Discussions can then be referenced when it is
> brought to the dev list. And people can always refer back to the log
> to read about the nuances around some particular discussion.
>
> Seems to be a simple solution to me.
huge +1! IRC is so powerful we should not put it down just because we
don't log the channel.

We already have a logged channel #lucene-dev and its logged here

http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_logs/lucene-dev

having tech discussion there should be ok I think and for major
decisions we can still send a mail to dev@l.a.o referencing the
discussion. I think we all have the discipline to do that right?

I am moving there now... we should also eventually add this channel to
the website and maybe mark #lucene as the user channel?

Simon

> [...]
>> email would start its own thread, repeating mostly what have been said on
>> IRC, b/c people would want answers ...
>>
>> I'm not against IRC, don't get me wrong. I think it's useful b/c the
>> turnaround time is great. But we should not have so many discussions there,
>> as we do today. I don't know where to draw the line. I trust the great
>> people of this community to know when it's better to discuss something in
>> email. An example, if a new feature is being discussed, then it's ok if two
>> people want to hash few things out quickly, before they send a detailed and
>> organized proposal to the list -- the details to hash out are the initial
>> proposal's details. The rest should be followed on list, even if it means
>> slightly slower response time.
>>
>> Today's list and JIRA volume always look to me like the response time is
>> instantaneous. We have very active people from around the globe, so you have
>> a high chance receiving response in no time. In the worse case, it will take
>> a couple of hours, but I don't remember when did that happen (which is an
>> amazing thing !)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Shai
>>
>> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > More reading (shall I say required reading?).  Benson does a good job of
>> > explaining some of the concepts around consensus and why we also should be
>> > primarily using mailing lists:
>> > https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/entry/how_apache_projects_use_consensus
>> >
>> > -Grant

>> > think to date, there have been two Chairs:  Doug and me.  Back when Doug
>> > left, no one wanted to do it (both Hoss and I said we would if no one else
>> > wanted to) and so I took it on.  For the most part, it's a thankless task of
>> > herding cats (albeit low volume, thankfully), despite the important sounding
>> > name that marketing types love.  I would like us to share the burden across
>> > the PMC by rotating it on an annual basis.  Many other ASF projects do
>> > exactly this and I think it removes any political pressure.  Have I sold it
>> > enough? ;-)  Besides, I just know others are dying to file board reports on
>> > a quarterly basis!

>> > feedback sooner.  I think some of this can be automated much like what
>> > Hadoop has done.  This should help identify new committers sooner and
>> > encourage them to keep contributing.

>> > nice, but it discourages those who aren't "in the know" about the channel
>> > being used from ever contributing.    Say, for instance, I'm interested in
>> > DWPT (DocWriterPerThread), how am I supposed to know that at 8 am EDT on May
>> > 5th (made up example), three of the committers are going to be talking about
>> > it on IRC?  If there is email about it, then I can participate.  Nothing we
>> > do is so important that it can't wait a few hours or a day, besides the
>> > fact, that email is damn near instantaneous these days anyway.

almost completely dried up in terms of discussions (factoring out JIRA
>> > mails which have picked up -- which is good) and the large majority of
>> > discussion takes place on IRC.  I agree, however, we should have the IRC
>> > discussion on another thread.

>> > week or so and then add what we think are good things to
>> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/board-reports/2011/special-board-report-may.txt
The board meeting is on May 19th.  I plan on attending.