lucene-general mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Special Board Report for May 2011
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 19:17:07 GMT
bq. shall I say required reading?

You should ! If only so that people don't miss that great article :)

On IRC, I agree with Grant (and partly w/ Mike). IMO, we should scale down
the amount of discussion on IRC. While there are several advantages to IRC
(faster response time, easier to hash things out etc.), I think there are
several drawbacks:

* As Grant mentioned, TimeZone -- IRC makes it hard for people to follow
discussions that happened while they were asleep

* IRC is not logged

* Even trying to follow discussions on IRC, the nature of the UI sometimes
makes it too hard. Many times I've seen two and more discussions happen
simultaneously, and the way the UI is constructed, they're all mixed with
each other. This is not so with email threads.

* I myself have too many communication mediums I need to follow today: my
job's email and messaging system, Gmail (Lucene and other mailing lists, as
well as private stuff), phone, people stopping by for questions .. IRC is a
very busy and demanding channel. You're kinda expected to respond
immediately (which is why, I think, it's easier to hash things out -- the
response time is instantaneous). If you only want to follow, you must stay
tuned to it. If I turn on "flash the taskbar for new messages", it drives me
crazy. If I turn it off, I miss important discussions ... it's impossible
:).
With emails, I can prioritize things. At least, Gmail helps to some extent.
That that we now receive all JIRA emails under one thread is a great
progress too.
With emails, I can always go back when I have time, and re-read the
discussion. I can respond to it 2 days after the last email, and people will
immediately know what I respond about, because we can include quoted text.
And if people's memory is very bad, they can (at least in Gmail) scan
quickly previous messages. Hack ... I can do that 1 month after the email
was sent, and most people will be able to quickly pick up from where we
left. This is not so with IRC ...

* Getting in the middle of a discussion is practically impossible on IRC. I
have nothing to read for reference (unless I had my IRC client open and I
turned on the 'logging' feature).

* Is it really that easier to hash things out on IRC? I mean, the response
time is great, so you get answers really quick. But then, there are usually
only a handful of participants in that discussion, which makes hashing out
and agreeing much easier anyway. If the same group of people (usually <=3)
communicated in email, they'd hash things out in almost the same speed.
After all, IRC mandates they are all awake at the same time, so they could
also email each other in NRT :).

* Imagine this discussion happening on IRC. Most of us would have been able
to pick only shards of it. At some point, maybe Grant or another PMC member
would 'summarize' the discussion to the list. The summary could be "we've
decided to not use IRC because email is better", followed by some points
he's able to pull back from his memory and maybe IRC log. Would *you*
(people reading this growing-by-the-minute note) want to get a summary like
that? Would you be satisfied?
I think that most of us wouldn't and all that would happen is that such
email would start its own thread, repeating mostly what have been said on
IRC, b/c people would want answers ...

I'm not against IRC, don't get me wrong. I think it's useful b/c the
turnaround time is great. But we should not have so many discussions there,
as we do today. I don't know where to draw the line. I trust the great
people of this community to know when it's better to discuss something in
email. An example, if a new feature is being discussed, then it's ok if two
people want to hash few things out quickly, before they send a detailed and
organized proposal to the list -- the details to hash out are the initial
proposal's details. The rest should be followed on list, even if it means
slightly slower response time.

Today's list and JIRA volume always look to me like the response time is
instantaneous. We have very active people from around the globe, so you have
a high chance receiving response in no time. In the worse case, it will take
a couple of hours, but I don't remember when did that happen (which is an
amazing thing !)

Cheers,
Shai

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> More reading (shall I say required reading?).  Benson does a good job of
> explaining some of the concepts around consensus and why we also should be
> primarily using mailing lists:
> https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/entry/how_apache_projects_use_consensus
>
> -Grant
>
> On May 5, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>

> > I'd like to throw out another idea:
> >
> > I think we should standardize on rotating the PMC Chair every year.  I
> think to date, there have been two Chairs:  Doug and me.  Back when Doug
> left, no one wanted to do it (both Hoss and I said we would if no one else
> wanted to) and so I took it on.  For the most part, it's a thankless task of
> herding cats (albeit low volume, thankfully), despite the important sounding
> name that marketing types love.  I would like us to share the burden across
> the PMC by rotating it on an annual basis.  Many other ASF projects do
> exactly this and I think it removes any political pressure.  Have I sold it
> enough? ;-)  Besides, I just know others are dying to file board reports on
> a quarterly basis!
> >
> > More inline below...
> >
> > On May 5, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> feedback sooner.  I think some of this can be automated much like what
> Hadoop has done.  This should help identify new committers sooner and
> encourage them to keep contributing.
> >>
> >> Big +1.  We should be using automation everywhere we can.
> >>
> >> But, really, we (as all projects do) need more devs.  Growing the
> >> community should be job #1 of all committers.
> >
> > Agreed, but this dovetails w/ the use of IRC.  I realize live collab is
> nice, but it discourages those who aren't "in the know" about the channel
> being used from ever contributing.    Say, for instance, I'm interested in
> DWPT (DocWriterPerThread), how am I supposed to know that at 8 am EDT on May
> 5th (made up example), three of the committers are going to be talking about
> it on IRC?  If there is email about it, then I can participate.  Nothing we
> do is so important that it can't wait a few hours or a day, besides the
> fact, that email is damn near instantaneous these days anyway.
> >
> > Also, keep in mind that until about a year ago, most everything was done
> on the mailing list and I think we progressed just fine.  Since then, dev@has almost
completely dried up in terms of discussions (factoring out JIRA
> mails which have picked up -- which is good) and the large majority of
> discussion takes place on IRC.  I agree, however, we should have the IRC
> discussion on another thread.

> week or so and then add what we think are good things to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/board-reports/2011/special-board-report-may.txt
The board meeting is on May 19th.  I plan on attending.