lucene-general mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Special Board Report for May 2011
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 20:30:24 GMT
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm not trying to be a pest here, but this conversation and this report is hugely important
to the future of this Lucene PMC.  So far, I see a sum total of 4 PMC members out of 20+
total PMC members weighing in here, as well as a few other community members, on proactive
things to do to move forward.

> Are you all really in lazy consensus with what has been said so far? (hint: lazy consensus
is not a good idea here, so, if you are in consensus, at least speak up and say so)  Do you
have other suggestions?  The Board Meeting is on the 19th and this report needs to be filled
at least 2 days prior to that.   Claims of thread fatigue, I am sure, are not going to go
over well with the Board, so I suggest all PMC Members (as well as others) take some time
to think about how to contribute to this report.

> As it stands now, we have the following concrete suggestions:
> 1. Log IRC -- from the looks of #lucene-dev, it appears that people have not migrated
to the new logged version.  To me, we really should just hook up the logger to #lucene and
forget #lucene-dev ever existed.  We should also put a note that the room is being logged.
 I am beginning to be of the mindset that any design/dev conversation that is not logged
on IRC is the equivalent of a private conversation.

I agree we should move the logger to #lucene - according to steven
this is trivial so lets shoot for it.

> 2. Rotate the Chair -- I would propose that this Report is my last official one and that
the next Board meeting contains a resolution changing the chair.

+1

> 3. Put in the automated patch checking system that Hadoop uses.  Volunteers?  Perhaps
we can knock this out at Lucene Revolution?
+1 we should get at least a proposal done. I have no idea how they did
it but I will try figuring out and start a mail on dev@l.a.o

> 4. Write up lessons learned by all on commit/revert and scratching/itches and make sure
newcomers and old timers alike understand how it works.
I am not sure if we should make a big deal out of it - I think
everybody knows that it was a wrong reaction and we learned our
lesson. I think we should only mention our agreement that reverts
should only be done if voted etc.

> 5. I gather, via lazy consensus from the other thread, that we are in agreement on refactoring
and we have a way forward.
this is my impression too! +1

> 6. Discourage private emails, phone calls, etc. as they relate to the project.  I personally
am starting to think that if there is wind of this happening more that it is not at all unreasonable
to remove commit bits.

I don't know where this comes from but I don't think we are having
those conversations. can you explain where you get those impression
from?

Simon

> -Grant
>

> On May 7, 2011, at 6:47 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>
>> On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 6:41 AM, Simon Willnauer
>> <simon.willnauer@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> huge +1! IRC is so powerful we should not put it down just because we
>>> don't log the channel.
>>>
>>> We already have a logged channel #lucene-dev and its logged here
>>>
>>> http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_logs/lucene-dev
>>>
>>> having tech discussion there should be ok I think and for major
>>> decisions we can still send a mail to dev@l.a.o referencing the
>>> discussion. I think we all have the discipline to do that right?
>>>
>>> I am moving there now... we should also eventually add this channel to
>>> the website and maybe mark #lucene as the user channel?
>>>
>>> Simon

IRC

my

IRC. I

I sold it

EDT on May
 Nothing we

then, dev@has almost completely dried up in terms of discussions (factoring out JIRA

The board meeting is on May 19th.  I plan on attending.

I know
Day 1 and I

 Any of
 At the