lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Special Board Report for May 2011
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 12:32:33 GMT
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> The amazing thing to me is that Lucene of all projects is having problems
> like this.  Lucene has always been my primary example of Open Source Done
> Right.

I think with passion comes blowups.  I think it's natural, and, as long
as the community heals, healthy.  We will emerge stronger from this.

> I very much hope that it comes back to those roots.  The people who
> contribute to Lucene are too good a group to have these problems.

We will.  This is a resilient community ;)

In fact I find it very inspiring that despite this storm in the
background, committers were still actively pushing things forward.

EG, Simon & others landed the concurrent flushing (DWPT)
branch... resulting in astounding gains in Lucene's indexing
throughput on concurrent hardware
(http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/lucenebench/indexing.html).

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com