lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Special Board Report for May 2011
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 20:09:04 GMT

On May 12, 2011, at 3:23 PM, Smiley, David W. wrote:

> Hi.
> I haven't commented yet but I've absolutely been following this soap opera.  I'm referring
to all related threads and JIRA discussions, not just this thread.

> I think the current state of logging only #lucene-dev is good.

Yeah, except no one is on it other than a few people even though many of them (committers
that is) are on #lucene

>  I go to #lucene-dev now. I think only IRC channel(s) that are Lucene/Solr internal development
in nature need to be logged -- and that's just #lucene-dev. So just because you have observed
many developers are on #lucene instead of #lucene-dev doesn't indicate a problem, so long
as no design decisions for Lucene/Solr take place on #lucene or #solr.  #lucene and #solr
is where users get to ask questions, much like how it is on the user mailing lists.  So *if*
(I don't know if it happens) internal Lucene / Solr design decisions are taking place on #lucene
or #solr then obviously that must stop. I'd rather these channels not get logged so that we
can have an expectation of a single place for these discussions on IRC and have that place
be clear of user support questions.

> RE refactoring / modularization, it's good to finally see a sense of agreement on how
to move forward.

> ~ David Smiley
>
> On May 12, 2011, at 2:36 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> I'm not trying to be a pest here, but this conversation and this report is hugely
important to the future of this Lucene PMC.  So far, I see a sum total of 4 PMC members out
of 20+ total PMC members weighing in here, as well as a few other community members, on proactive
things to do to move forward.

>> Are you all really in lazy consensus with what has been said so far? (hint: lazy
consensus is not a good idea here, so, if you are in consensus, at least speak up and say
so)  Do you have other suggestions?  The Board Meeting is on the 19th and this report needs
to be filled at least 2 days prior to that.   Claims of thread fatigue, I am sure, are not
going to go over well with the Board, so I suggest all PMC Members (as well as others) take
some time to think about how to contribute to this report.

>> As it stands now, we have the following concrete suggestions:
>> 1. Log IRC -- from the looks of #lucene-dev, it appears that people have not migrated
to the new logged version.  To me, we really should just hook up the logger to #lucene and
forget #lucene-dev ever existed.  We should also put a note that the room is being logged.
 I am beginning to be of the mindset that any design/dev conversation that is not logged on
IRC is the equivalent of a private conversation.
>> 2. Rotate the Chair -- I would propose that this Report is my last official one and
that the next Board meeting contains a resolution changing the chair.
>> 3. Put in the automated patch checking system that Hadoop uses.  Volunteers?  Perhaps
we can knock this out at Lucene Revolution?
>> 4. Write up lessons learned by all on commit/revert and scratching/itches and make
sure newcomers and old timers alike understand how it works.
>> 5. I gather, via lazy consensus from the other thread, that we are in agreement on
refactoring and we have a way forward.
>> 6. Discourage private emails, phone calls, etc. as they relate to the project.  I
personally am starting to think that if there is wind of this happening more that it is not
at all unreasonable to remove commit bits.

>> -Grant
>>

>> On May 7, 2011, at 6:47 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com

my
IRC is a
scan

PMC member

Have I sold it

 Growing the

 Nothing we

then, dev@has almost completely dried up in terms of discussions (factoring out JIRA

this thread open for a
The board meeting is on May 19th.  I plan on attending.

Day 1 and I
(just ask our

 At the

Lucid.