lucene-general mailing list archives

From "wave@vancameron.net" <w...@vancameron.net>
Subject Query performance, bitset, btree
Date Sat, 28 May 2011 06:28:00 GMT
Hello, I'm new to Lucene. I have a question about performance. I have a
structured dataset split up into fields, for example name, age, city, state.
I want to query this dataset for exact matches to fields, e.g. name="John"
and age=30 and city="London". For such a dataset, how will performance of
Lucene compare with a database table with an appropriate index (e.g. index
on name, age, city)? The dataset is pretty static so index update
performance is not an issue for me.

>From what I understand, Lucene uses bitset indexes while a typical database
index will use a b-tree (or hash). I'll admit I don't fully understand what
a bitset index is. What types of datasets and queries take best advantage of
bitset indexes vs a btree index?