lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Special Board Report for May 2011
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 21:54:43 GMT

On May 12, 2011, at 5:31 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Who logs the stuff there? In my opinion, a meeting on Lucene-Rev is also
> "private" - or is this different somehow? What's difference between a
> private talk between two or three people in a bar at Lucene Revolution
> without somebody writing down a log? A log can also be written if somebody
> else talks with me in a private Skype chat!

+1. If it didn't happen on the mailing list, it didn't happen. To me, that does not mean we
must not discuss Lucene/Solr together off list here and there. This is just one of those lines
I think most people understand to a degree. Perhaps we should do a little self check and reign
in a little - but let's be honest - two developers getting together and speeding through some
stuff is no different than one dev thinking through a lot on his own. You then bring it to
the mailing list since otherwise it didn't happen. Other than that, we are all big boys and
I think we can self regulate. It starts getting into fuzzy territory of sub groups regularly
meeting or something - but like I said - I think everyone largely gets it. Personally I've
found enough to make it to JIRA issues to be satisfied. If I thought something was missing,
I'd ask for more detail about the issue. I don't see others doing that much, but perhaps I've
missed it. You want to curate JIRA issues well in either case.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Lucene/Solr User Conference
May 25-26, San Francisco