lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:46:43 GMT

On Apr 26, 2011, at 6:32 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> Let's stop this passive-aggressive silliness and find a good solution.

We have got to do some of that or most of us would wonder what happened to everyone ;) I agree
though. I think a *lot* of us are on this page. Probably though, others, like me, are at somewhat
of a loss.

I feel a lot like you do it seems - I come down in the middle. I like modules. I'm pro modules.
But I think that Yonik brings up valid points that should be considered. I think features
that are ready for Solr should go into Solr - if someone makes join a module for Lucene tomorrow
- fantastic. I simply don't think we should require that to get it in now for Solr. I also
think if anyone makes a module, its not going to just be blocked as I suppose some assume.
I'd +1 any reasonable module like we know almost everyone here would.

We all know this though. And the majority of us loosely agree from what I can tell. But what
is the good solution? I don't really know. I don't think it's a de-merge. I don't think its
a Solr is just sugar on Lucene and everything should by default be a module. I also think
if someone actually makes something from Solr available in Lucene, I'd be for that. Patches
welcomed and appreciated.

What's the path forward? We have all made various suggestions in the past. What do they mean?
How do we settle on something?

Can we at least settle on the fact that we'd like to try and all work something out? Most
of us would I think.

It really seems to come down to robert/simon and yonik being really opposed here. This bubbles
up every few weeks. I just don't know how to fix that - does anybody? I want to fix things
as much as anyone - but what now? We have hashed everything over and over.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Lucene/Solr User Conference
May 25-26, San Francisco