lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:49:07 GMT
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider this: if you did the work necessary to make join a module and polished it all
off and submitted it to Lucene - you think yonik standing alone would block that?

In fact I do think he may object to it, given his past actions, his
statements on private emails/IRCs, etc., and that really is the core
problem here.

For example, he vetoed the suggest module (now rescinded after Greg's
intervention).

The private email Yonik sent a few weeks back (to only certain
hand-picked committers) clearly applies here.

Yonik, since this is all out here in the open now, can you re-send
that email to all of us (general@)?  There's no reason for it to have
been / now remain private?

> I find this a very weak argument. Perceived road blocks are certainly no roadblock.

They are a roadblock because they are a powerful deterrent.

Refactoring is a lot of work, and it's non-glorious work.  When
someone has the itch, it's usually not a super strong itch, and so
fear-of-Yonik-disasgreeing can easily defeat that itch.

It's not unlike how a bully is able to "control" so many kids in the
school yard.  One bully's actions has wide ranging [negative] impact.

> Revert wars are a road block

Remember that Yonik has also unilaterally up and reverted a commit
without discussion ("auto phrasing" enabled in Solr's defaults).  And
his revert still stands to this day.  Really the PMC should have
intervened then.

While I agree, out of context, Robert's use of a veto/revert wars is
inappropriate, and is not how things should be done in a healthy
Apache project.... Lucene/Solr are not healthy right now, and
desperate times call for desperate measures.

Set in the wider context, Robert's veto has finally succeeded in
getting us talking about the elephant in the room when other's (eg
Simon's) efforts haven't.  Robert has forced the issue out into the
open, not unlike when someone in the school yard has had enough and
finally stands up to the bully.

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com