lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:03:21 GMT
Big -1.

I voted for the merge originally so that we'd be free to refactor code
across the two projects, and I don't think we're nearly done with
that.

Robert worked hard and factored out the analyzers module, the original
"trigger" for merging, and this is AWESOME progress.

But eg factoring out function queries
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2883), suggest module
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2995), this new join
ability (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2272), facets,
grouping, analyzer factories, data import, clustering, tika
integration, spatial, *dismax query parsers, are not done yet.

Other open source search engines (eg Xapian, Sphinx, etc.) already do
much of this ootb, so we clearly have some catching up to do, and
remaining merged is our best hope of getting there.

The problem is, even merged, we're still struggling because you
(Yonik) often veto / strongly resist others' refactoring efforts (eg
see the first 2 issues above).  Simon sums it the problem/frustration
at http://markmail.org/thread/po7rr3egrsozgk3y

Good refactoring is strongly beneficial to both Solr and Lucene, as
the common code will get more attention, improvements, iterations,
etc.  It seems like big win/win to me...

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com