lucene-general mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 07:32:45 GMT
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2011, at 8:43 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
>>
>> But, this is important context to the discussion. Unfortunately, to
>> the uninformed community, asf board, members etc, my behavior likely
>> appears very irrational: but this is because they are unaware of these
>> private emails (which many of us STRONGLY encouraged to go to a
>> mailing list) expressing there should be no refactoring.
>>
>> Its unfortunate the PMC didn't address this immediately, instead we
>> all ignored the elephant in the room and ... hoped it would go away?
>>

> Yeah, we really should have a public discussion on modularization.  I think there are
pros and cons on both sides of it and we should debate it for a bit.  I'm not sure what the
result will be or if it will fix anything, but it would be good to outline all the pros and
cons on both sides and see if we can't find a common ground strategy going forward.

I really think it is pointless to call out another discussion on the
PMC or in public or in writing directly to committers. There is
nothing left we can vote on, we voted on merging and we discussed
enough what it means. One thing that remains is the attitude of
individuals to ignore what we voted on and that will not change no
matter how many votes we call. I am so over these discussions but on
the other hand I won't let people get away with ignoring our votes and
taking it to the next level in terms of moving TLP or incubating just
to get rid of people that are, lets say inconvenient. I already hear
somebody saying "what are you talking about..." well I think I have
spelled out my opinion on the list regarding all these problems and
writing them down is a waste of time.

ps: @yonik I am really disappointed that you not even bothered to
reply on the private mail you send to a majority of committers  but
pull  me into yet another private IRC discussion that nobody can
follow. If you can't tell your concernes and problems on the list but
only in private and the last resort is moving TLP and still not saying
out loud why you going this path makes me wonder if you should think
about the situation you are facing again and consider the attitude
being the problem not the code.

here is my -1 to unmerge