lucene-general mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 00:43:28 GMT
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2011, at 8:21 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

that moving code to Lucene is being veto'ed on.

>>> What has been vetoed on? The response veto today? That hardly counts right? Just
part of today's BS fun. If you guys are letting yonik stop you before you even begin - I suppose
with a glance - than really, thats your issue IMO.

>> did you or did you not receive an email on march 31st (not to any
>> mailing list, directed only at individuals) containing the terms 'I
>> don't think there should be more "pull stuff out of solr" '
>
> I do think I should be rich. If it only it was so easy ;) I can find where Simon says
everything will be pulled from Solr and I can find where yonik says nothing will be pulled
form Solr. This is not a veto - nor are either comments anything I realistically concern myself
with in this regard. These are not vetoes. They are the same froth from the same bubbly foam
we are witnessing today. I suppose I recommend you don't develop based on these types of broad
statements that bubble up after two sides fight.

But, this is important context to the discussion. Unfortunately, to
the uninformed community, asf board, members etc, my behavior likely
appears very irrational: but this is because they are unaware of these
private emails (which many of us STRONGLY encouraged to go to a
mailing list) expressing there should be no refactoring.

Its unfortunate the PMC didn't address this immediately, instead we
all ignored the elephant in the room and ... hoped it would go away?

As far as "letting someone stop me first", I think you are
underestimating the amount of time it takes to refactor this stuff,
even the tiny refactorings like this spellchecking one. LUCENE-2995
took me an entire sunday. When you already know someone is against the
patch before you even start writing the code, its very discouraging.