lucene-general mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:31:46 GMT
On 4/26/11 8:50 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> A single merged project works only when people are relatively on the same page,
> and when people feel it's mutually beneficial.  Recent events make it
> clear that that
> is no longer the case.
>
> Improvements to Solr have been recently blocked and reverted on the
> grounds that the new functionality was not immediately available to
> non-Solr users.
> This was obviously never part of the original idea (well actually - it was
> considered but rejected as too onerous).  But the past doesn't matter as
> much as the present - about how people chose to act and interpret
> things today.

> http://markmail.org/message/unrvjfudcbgqatsy
>
> Some people warned us against merging at the start, and I guess it
> turns out they were right.
>
> I no longer feel it's in Solr's best interests to remain under the same
> PMC as Lucene-Java, and I know some other committers who have said
> they feel like Lucene got the short end of the stick.  But rather than
> arguing about who's right (maybe both?) since enough of us feel it's no longer
> mutually beneficial, we should stop fighting and just go our separate
> ways.
>
> Please VOTE to create a new Apache Solr TLP.
>
> Here's my +1

-1 to unmerge - as others have said there are more good reasons to keep
these projects merged as they are now, and to keep resolving differences
in a respectful way.

-1 to blind dogmatism, to commit wars, and to unilateral decisions that
claim to represent "this or that (large) community group". And
emphatically -1 to name-calling.

+1 to iterative development, i.e. adding important new features when
they are proven to work, and refactoring/improving on them later.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><