lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucere: what are the hits for the query ?
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:16:39 GMT

On Feb 28, 2011, at 6:21 AM, aneuryzma wrote:

> I've just seen in 1 totalHits and scoreHits return the top and total number
> of hits for the query respectively.
>
> What does "hit" mean exactly ?

It is the document that contains a match for the query (and really only the document id).

> Is it the position of the searched term in a
> document, or the documents in which the term is included... or what ?

The latter.  You can get to the former via a SpanQuery and the related Spans object.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem docs using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search