lucene-general mailing list archives

From Phil hunter <phil_2...@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject New to Lucene
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:54:18 GMT

Hi all,

Im doing a uni project that involves designing a website. I am in the early
stages of development and just want to clarify my understanding of what I
have learnt so far. My website will contain a database (SQL or Oracle
possibly) with powerpoint, word and maybe some other files but mainly these.

I can use Lucene to:
1) Search my site using keywords to find and retrieve the relevant pages
2) Search and extract the relevant powerpoint and word files from the
database

>From what I gathered core Lucene will index my site and database and find
the relevant pages and files. I will need to add other software though, such
as crawlers and a user interface.

As I say I am new to this and it is all quite complicated at the start, but
is what I have gathered so far correct?

Many Thanks,

Phil