lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why do we use Filters
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:07:08 GMT
Filters are a way of restricting the search space to a subset of documents.  They basically
work out to be a bitset indicating whether a given document is allowed to appear in the results
or not.  They do not affect scoring.  You can obtain similar results through ANDing a query
too, but then it likely affects scoring.  Also, you should only really use filters if you
intend to cache it and reuse it.

-Grant