lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Request for cancellation of current vote regarding Lucene.Net status change
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:11:10 GMT
The problem with grouping sub-projects under a super-project is that it
leads to more
politics rather than less because many of the decision makers have to base
their decisions
on personal reputation (or whatever) rather than personal knowledge of the
content.

As a member of the PMC for Mahout, I was formerly a member of the PMC for
Lucene
purely based on my Mahout membership.  That entitled me to vote on
Lucene issues.
Occasionally it was tempting to do so, but usually only because I knew the
reputation of
the person proposing the change.  That probably goes the other way for
Mahout decisions
by Lucene people.  That isn't good for projects in the end and having Mahout
separated is
better for both projects.

There is nothing that prevents related projects from associating, from
sharing committers
or even PMC membership (Grant is on the Mahout and Lucene PMC's, btw)
or from linking back and forth on the project web pages.  For all intents
and purposes, such
projects can be as closely associated as ever even if they are not under the
same umbrella.