lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for cancellation of current vote regarding Lucene.Net status change
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:17:32 GMT
We will be putting most resources into a read-only mode, including SVN.  I'm fine with leaving
the user mailing list up and running if that is desired.  We don't ever delete history here.
 You will still be able to download old versions.  As I said before, however, I really think
some of you committed users should get together and move all of this stuff to the Incubator
(it won't be that hard, it took the OpenNLP project a total of about 1 week to move from SourceForge
into the ASF) so that you can be a self-determined, standalone project.  You all seem to be
saying that is what you want, but no one seems willing to step up and do the work (which I
have even volunteered to help with even though I have no interest in .NET at this point in
time), which is, ultimately, the biggest problem with this project.

On Dec 30, 2010, at 11:55 AM, Simone Chiaretta wrote:

> If it was not into the ASF this would have been a great oss project
> where the mailing list is sustained by the users directly (vs most
> other projects where the ppl answering are the devs). 6 months without
> a commit is not the end of the world.
> I fear that most possible committers are scared away by the
> over-political and burocratic approach of the ASF.

I think this is really overblown.  There is nothing to be scared of about volunteering at
the ASF (if there were, do you really think the ASF would have over 2000 committers and 80+
top level projects and sponsorship from almost all of the largest software companies in the
world?)  The ASF has a few rules that are in place to protect committers and the Foundation
and to ensure reasonable levels of quality, but for the most part you just do your day to
day work and then every now and then put together a release that meets certain requirements.
 Frankly, IMO, any open source developer who gives it an iota of thought should be more scared
to work on open source outside of the cover of a foundation like the ASF (or others) given
the legal state of software patents and litigation in the US and other places.  Not that a
foundation is an invincibility cloak, but at least there is a legal framework in place to
help, never mind all the other infrastructure and collective wisdom of people who have been
at it for a long time.

My two cents,
Grant