lucene-general mailing list archives

From vermansi <verma...@gmail.com>
Subject Score Normalization in Lucene 3.02
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:48:01 GMT

Hello
I had a doubt in scoring of documents in lucene.
If there is an OR query like "w1 OR w2 OR w3".
One way is to fire the query and get the results. The scores that come with
the documents are not normalized. right ? .. as they do exceed 1.

The second way is to fire w1 and then w2 and then w3 and combine the
results. My problem as well as the doubt is the results of both these
approaches differ greatly. The documents dont match if we compare the
combined scores (using each word at a time as a query) and original scores
(using w1 OR w2 OR w3).

since there seems to be no normalization of scores in 3.02. why is this
difference occuring . Is it due to createWeight function in Searcher.java.
Im sorry if i have missed on how the documents are scored in 3.02 though i
checked the previos posts, they all talk about Hits.java which is not used
anymore.

So my question is --
is the difference due to normalization. If yes then how can i fix it. (my
query is a fielded query ie  --> f1:w1 OR f2:w2  but none of the fields has
any weights)
I really need to use the second approach as my queries are very big.

Regards
Manisha