lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene usage statistics
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:42:38 GMT
Unfortunately, there isn't, since people don't have to let us know that they are using it.
 I've seen estimates ranging from 4K - 180K deployments.  I feel pretty comfortable in saying
it is the most widely used search technology in the world even though I don't have the numbers
to support it simply because not only is it used by a good many people standalone, but it
also powers many other search capabilities, both open and proprietary, that are also widely
deployed (for instance, I know several of the top proprietary vendors use it, even though
they won't publicly say so.)  The Open Source Census also has it as a top 10 Open Source project.

We have talked about putting up a Analytics tracking piece on the website, but no one has
done the patch so far.  That might give a little more insight.

-Grant

On Nov 18, 2010, at 6:30 AM, Ugo Scaiella wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The "Powered by Lucene" list is just a very small snapshot of the real word.
> Is there any statistics about the number of sites and systems that are
> currently using Lucene and how this number grows by time?
> I'm searching for something like this
> http://drupal.org/project/usage/luceneapi
> but a little bit more generic...
>
> Ugo