lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ciaran Roarty <ciaran.roa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET Community Status
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:57:24 GMT
Hi

I've watched the ensuing debate with interest and have offered in the past
to get involved in the Lucene.NET project but had a differing opinion on the
route the project should take.

I think Lucene.NET would benefit from being .NET aware and moving to a newer
version of the Framework; I would be keen to get involved and do this. There
was, however, a dominant view that it should mirror Lucene and this chase
after another project was the main thing to achieve. My suspicion is that
this approach has been taken because the Lucene.NET community is not
defining new approaches to search; it was to get value out of the Lucene
library. In effect, we could just use IKVM and get something similar.

Personally, I'd be up for trying to get the latest Lucene version we can (
i.e. take the current one ) and turn it into a real .NET version for
Framework 4 or 3.5SP1 if required. I think if we identified the core of the
project and focused on that then it could be a quick moving entity. The
non-core parts of the source tree could then move more slowly behind it;
Highlighter, Snowball etc.

I wouldn't want to be involved in a project that chased Lucene's tail
forever.

Ciaran